Re: Centrino support

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 05:38:54 EST

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:46:19 -0400
Brandon Stewart <rbrandonstewart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought that this line of argument was due to FCC regulations. That
> is, software settings would allow the hardware to violate frequency or
> strength-of-signal limitations set by government regulations. This is
> only from memory, so feel free to correct.

I think I have read in an earlier thread something the like.
But I cannot understand how this can be logically linked to releasing docs. If
all companies would follow this thought e.g. Siemens would never have released
the docs for ISDN chipsets and therefore no ISDN drivers would be in the
kernel. I'd rather say someone with money is afraid ...
Mobile equipment like laptops is a booming market and it all turns around
shares...
There is another point about this topic. How does M$ (with their centrino
drivers) guarantee that no user tries to switch on the addtional ETSI
frequencies? I doubt this is possible at all. Of course you can simply ignore
that there are ETSI frequencies which basically means to ignore the
overwhelming part of europe and their respective regulation.
Some political explosives are in this thread ...

Regards,
Stephan