[OT] Re: ide drives performance issues, maybe related with buffercache.

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 10:04:11 EST

John Newbie wrote:

RTFM , and STOP SPAMMING

I've read them, see my previous posts. If you have nothing to say, better stay silent.
Ok, have a look at 2.6-test2, the same picture, slightly faster, though.
And 2.6 by default set unmaskirq to 1.
IO is really bursty (see post by insecure) opposite to `enemy I`.

If you are really newbie in Linux - I can advice you to try FreeBSD.
By default FreeBSD (as of version 3.2) is much less aggressive in caching and buffering. I never saw Linux greedy caching/buffering working good - it always has some stupid edge cases when it is easier/faster to power-off/power-on/fsck system, rather than to get to console and kill offending process.
But sure - Linux's throughput is much higher that in *BSD.
Benchmarketing.