Re: Dumb question: Why are exceptions such as SIGSEGV not logged

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 18:42:59 EST

* Doug McNaught (doug@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> You can still DoS by forking repeatedly and having the child die with
> SEGV...

True - but there are a million and one ways of similarly DoSing a box;
an option to log programs terminated by a bad uncaught signal would seem
useful to me; at least one of which could be as a sign of someone trying
out buffer overrun type attacks on a system; and just as a diagnostic
to catch apps that go pop when you aren't expecting them too.

(I seem to remember ARM Linux actually does log user exceptions and very
useful it is too).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /