Re: Hot swapping USB mouse in X window system

From: Brandon Stewart
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 12:41:46 EST

Ok, that works. I knew about /dev/input/mice, but I didn't use it because one mouse was PS/2 and the other was IMPS/2. But it appears to figure things out on it's own. Thanks.

-Brandon

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

1) If a mouse is not detected at the start of X windows, that mouse will not be checked for during the operation of X windows.
2) If a mouse is detected at the start of X windows, then the device corresponding to that mouse cannot be released until X windows is stopped

Use /dev/input/mice, it multiplexes all mice found and exists even if no device is currentrly available.

Under 2.6 I can "hot-plug" serial and PS2 mouse this way and use both at the same time.

-andrey