Re: Dumb question: Why are exceptions such as SIGSEGV not logged

From: Hank Leininger
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 21:00:01 EST

On 2003-08-16, Michael Frank <mhf () linuxmail ! org> wrote:

> Linux logs almost everything, why not exceptions such as SIGSEGV in
> userspace which may be very informative?

If you really want this, patches to do so have been in hap-linux (2.2.x)
for a while, and they were picked up by grsecurity (2.4). We both log
SIGSEGV, SIGBUS, SIGABRT, SIGILL currently; you could add others if you
desired. The logging is rate-limited to reduce log-flood opportunities
(though as others have mentioned it's quite easy to flood logs through
other means).

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>