Re: [RFC] Re: Blender profiling-1 O16.2int

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 19:26:55 EST

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:14, Wes Janzen wrote:
> I think this problem is exacerbated when another app is competing for
> the processor. The machine just pauses unless I'm also doing something
> else, in this case compiling XINE. Once something is competing, it
> looks like X takes an extraordinarily long time to come back into the
> running queue.

Yes that is correct behaviour and to be expected.

> Is there a way to figure out when a process is spinning on a wait and

That's the trick isn't it? No there isn't or else I'd fix it in a jiffy. If
someone can think of a way I'd love to know.

> exponentially decrease it's bonus if they are consecutive? I should
> probably read through the source and some of these posts before I make
> suggestions though, because I don't currently know much about how all
> that works.

If you get a chance could you try the prerelease O17 patch against O16.3 in
http://kernel.kolivas.org/2.5/experimental to see if that helps? It's purely
an anti-starvation patch.

Thanks for comments.

Cheers,