Re: Very bad interactivity with 2.6.0 and SCSI disks (aic7xxx)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 00:59:05 EST

Stefan Foerster wrote:

[I've sent this mail aleready, but got an error from my MAILER-DAEMON.
Perhaps ist was too large vor lkml, so I'm moving the oprofile output
to a webserver]

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stefan Foerster <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stefan Foerster <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A kernel profile would be needed to diagnose this. You could use
readprofile, but as it may be an interrupt problem, the NMI-based oprofile
output would be better.

Is this procedure documented anywhere?

[every information I needed]

I did the following steps:

opcontrol --setup --vmlinux=/usr/src/linux/vmlinux --event=RETIRED_INSNS:100000:0:1:1

Then I used your shell source:

~/shells/oprofileit dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1024 count=1048576

opreport -l /usr/src/linux/vmlinux > /tmp/1
opreport -ld -D /usr/src/linux/vmlinux > /tmp/2

During the dd, again the xmms playing a file from an tmpfs froze and
even screen redrawing was very, very slow.

The output of these commands kan be found at:

http://home.in.tum.de/foerstes/oprofile-1
http://home.in.tum.de/foerstes/oprofile-2

Is this information useful in debugging my problem, or should I go and
try again with readprofile or other tools?

Nothing jumps out at me. Is your machine swapping during the bad behaviour?
What is the effect of echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness, swapoff -a, or
using the deadline IO scheduler (boot with argument elevator=deadline)