Re: Initramfs confusion

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 10:08:31 EST

On Saturday 16 August 2003 19:40, Garrett Kajmowicz wrote:
> I am just begining to test out 2.6 with an eye on use by X-terminals
> without hard drives or NFS. As such I am quite enthusiastic about
> initramfs. After much stumbling around I created a root image that I would
> like to test, compiled into kernel and created image.
>
> I am doing testing under VMWare with 2.88 MB floppy images (for testing
> purposes), but lilo is barfing trying to write to a regular file as a raw
> device (doesn't know how to handle device 0x0700).
>
> I cannot use a real floppy because I do not have any 2.88 MB floppies
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Garrett Kajmowicz
> gkajmowi@xxxxxxxxxxx

Here's a big cut and paste from a script of mine that does a lot of this gorp
automatically while creating a bootable CD image.

Let me know if I missed something from the snip. (I do remember there was
some head scratching back when I was first figuring this out... :)

There are a number of assumptions baked into this script (I.E. earlier on an
empty directory named sub (I.E. the sub directory) was created for use as a
mount point, that sort of thing. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out...)

Rob

echo === "Create a 2.88 meg floppy image (CD emulates floppy when booting)..."

rm -f floppy.img &&
dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy.img bs=512 count=5760 &&

echo === Format and mount it... &&

mke2fs -N 24 -m 0 -F floppy.img &&
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 floppy.img &&
losetup /dev/loop7 floppy.img &&
mount /dev/loop7 sub &&

echo === Write lilo.conf for bootable CD... &&

rm -rf sub/lost+found &&
cat > sub/lilo.conf << EOF &&
boot=/dev/loop7
disk=/dev/loop7
bios=0x00
cylinders=80
heads=2
sectors=36
install=/boot.b
map=/map
backup=/dev/null
compact
geometric
image=/bzImage
label=linux
root=/dev/loop7
initrd=ramdisk.img.gz
read-write
EOF

echo === "Copy other data (kernel, ramdisk, dev, etc)..." &&

cat /boot/boot.b > sub/boot.b &&
cat /boot/vmlinuz > sub/bzImage &&
mv ramdisk.img.gz sub &&
mkdir sub/dev &&
cp -R /dev/{null,loop7} sub/dev &&
mkdir sub/tmp &&

echo === Run lilo to make image bootable.... &&

lilo -v -C lilo.conf -r sub &&
umount sub &&
losetup -d /dev/loop7

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then exit 1; fi