Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:07:16 EST

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:37:11 PDT, "David S. Miller" said:

> Please set the preferred source for eth1 to $(IP_OF_ETH1)
> and the preferred source for eth3 to $(IP_OF_ETH3) then
> do this:
>
> bash# echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/arp_filter
> bash# echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth3/arp_filter
>
> This also will make applications connecting using unspecified
> source addresses behave more sanely as well.

If I'm reading the code right, this will cause the interface to only deal with
ARP that have that interface's IP configured, whatever it happens to be at this
instant, so will DTRT for my configuration even when I'm doing DHCP or other
similar...

> The thing you claim is the right thing to do is the wrong thing
> to do in environments other than your own.

I never said it was the Right Thing for all environments, only that
the default is sub-optimal for some (probably common) setups...

I'm off to test - if that's all that's needed, I'm outta this thread. ;)