Re: Can't read fan-speeds from i2c

From: Charles Lepple
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 21:53:33 EST

Stian Jordet wrote:
I have a Asus CUV266-DLS, which uses the as99127f chipset. Everything
seems to work as it is supposed to, except for fan-speeds. They say 0.
Is that supposed behaviour since the as99127f doesn't have any
datasheets, or am I doing something wrong?

Have you tried adjusting the fan divisors (fan_div* in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/*)? Keep multiplying the fan divisor by two, and check the fan_input* devices-- you may have slow fans (or divide-by-two speed sensors), and you might need a longer sampling interval to see the lower speed.

Another option is to start the Windows monitoring program, perform a warm reboot into Linux, and use i2cdump to see how they configured the registers. Be sure to prevent your i2c drivers from loading, as a number of them initialize the chips to default settings.

--
Charles Lepple <ghz.cc!clepple>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/