Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 11:02:07 EST

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:43:42 +0200
Roman Pletka <rap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > <qoute RFC 1122>
> > 2.3.2 Address Resolution Protocol -- ARP
> >
> > 2.3.2.1 ARP Cache Validation
> >
> > An implementation of the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
> > [LINK:2] MUST provide a mechanism to flush out-of-date cache
> > entries. If this mechanism involves a timeout, it SHOULD be
> > possible to configure the timeout value.

> > [LINK:2] "An Ethernet Address Resolution Protocol," D. Plummer, RFC-826,
> > November 1982.
> >
> > </quote>
> >

> Please read carefully what you have quoted:
> It says: *An* implementation... and then goes on with a citation of RFC 826.
> A simple citation does not make a valid standard yet. It just refers to it
> as an example for this specific issue. That's all.

Sorry, but my reading is this "An implementation of the ( Address Resolution
Protocol (ARP) [LINK:2] ) ..."
Do you understand what I mean?

If you insist on RFC-826 being only one of several (possible) ARP
implementations, can you then please name an RFC where ARP as a protocol is
clearly defined? I mean there must be one, or not?

Regards,
Stephan