Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: David S. Miller
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 13:01:31 EST

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:44:41 -0700
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems that these reasons would not preclude the addition of a flag
> that would default to the current behaviour but allow the behaviour that
> other setups desire easily?

I would accept a patch that did something like
the following in arp_solicit().

if (skb && inet_addr_type(skb->nh.iph->saddr) == RTN_LOCAL &&
(in_dev->conf.shared_media ||
inet_addr_onlink(dev, skb->nh.iph->saddr, 0)))
saddr = skb->nh.iph->saddr;
else
saddr = inet_select_addr(dev, target, RT_SCOPE_LINE);

Then people can frob the shared_media sysctl for devices
where they want the behavior to be that we will only use
addresses assigned to the device as the solicitor address.

The shared_media setting defaults to one and thus would preserve
current behavior by default.

The idea is not mine, Alexey suggested it to me the other day.

I hope this pleases people wrt. ARP request solicitor address
handling.