Re: Input issues - key down with no key up

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 17:43:08 EST

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 05:57:41PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:

> There are 5 keys in question. Each one is fn + something else.
> Some of them (wireless, brighter, darker) cause the bios to do
> something, and only generate a keyboard event on a down transition.
> The others (battery, cdeject) don't appear to cause the bios to do
> anything, and generate a keyboard event on both the up and down
> transition, and it is always the same scancode.
>
> Key Meaning 2.6 scancode 2.4 (direct) scancode
> fn-F2 wireless 0x13d e0 08
> fn-F3 battery 0x136 e0 07
> fn-F10 cdeject 0x13e e0 09
> fn-down darker 0x125 e0 05
> fn-up brighter 0x12e e0 06

Thanks - added to the data base.
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html#ss1.12

> For my purposes, I need to use an "ioctl" to set a keycode for each
> scancode, so adding an ioctl to set the no-keyup status is no hassle
> for me. However the suggest approach of auto-detecting keys which
> have no up event would probably a good idea.

I would be unhappy.
We need a solid keyboard driver that actually works.
Not some fragile construction that has tricks built-in
so as to make things work for every kernel developer.
How many non-kernel-developers are there?
How many strange keyboards?

Andries