Re: [PM] Patrick: which part of "maintainer" and "peer review" needs explaining to you?

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 06:57:38 EST

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:47:38AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> I did ask to see the code and make preparations for this type of
> change... Since the driver model and power management is fundamental
> to many subsystems, I think it would be a good thing to have at least
> a few days for review of the changes on lkml.

Pat, can we have a set of configuration options to disable a lot of the
generic (!) code in kernel/power/*.c which isn't useful on embedded
platforms?

I'm looking at stuff like the swsusp infrastructure for clearing out
memory, suspending to disk, the PM state management, etc? This type
of stuff isn't at all useful on embedded platforms.

On these platforms, you'd typically suspend all the devices except for
a select few which would cause wake-up, put the RAM into self-refresh
mode, and send the CPU to sleep and put the whole device into a low
power "off" state.

This requires none of the swsusp-like infrastructure, so I don't need
most of the "generic" power code in kernel/power which I get for free
just by enabling CONFIG_PM.

--
Russell King (rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) The developer of ARM Linux