Athlon XP-M and cpufreq freezing Asus laptop to death

From: Daniele Venzano
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 11:50:04 EST

I don't know if I'm hunting a bug or I have to add support for my
hardware somewhere.
I succeded in making C2 work adjusting the DSDT table, I'm uploading the
new one on acpi.sf.net under Asus/L3100D

Now for cpufreq: I'm using the powernow-k7 driver, since the acpi
P-state is not supported.
Whenever I try to change the governor by echoing "powersave" in
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor everything stops
and a hard reset is required. It seemes to fall in some tight loop since
after a few seconds the fan goes on as if there is heavy processor
usage.

With some printk I have verified that it halts inside wrmsrl() at line
199, file powernow-k7.c (2.6.0-test4).
The call trace is:
powernow_target/change_speed/change_FID/wrmsrl

For what is my knowledge (very, very little) the frequency passed to
powernow_target is right, but I can't say nothing on all other
parameters...

Full dmesg and .config available here[2] and here[3], /proc/cpuinfo
and /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/{power,info} follows.

/proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 2000+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1673.782
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 3309.56

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
active state: C2
default state: C1
bus master activity: 00000000
states:
C1: promotion[C2] demotion[--] latency[000] usage[00653320]
*C2: promotion[--] demotion[C1] latency[090] usage[04958506]
C3: <not supported>

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
processor id: 0
acpi id: 1
bus mastering control: no
power management: yes
throttling control: yes
performance management: no
limit interface: yes

Using the acpi p state driver I get a message saying something about
'unsupported address space' (see [1] for details) and the machine
stops working also by echoing 'performance' (that is already there) in
sysfs.

I don't know what to do next, someone here can give me any hint ?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

[1] http://www.ussg.lu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0308.2/1892.html
[2] http://digilander.libero.it/webvenza/download/kpatches/dmesg-cpufreq
[3] http://digilander.libero.it/webvenza/download/kpatches/config-cpufreq