Re: 2.6.0-test3-bk6: hang at i8042.c when booting with no PS/2mouse attached

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 14:39:09 EST

Wiktor Wodecki <wodecki@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > > What happens if you remove the SA_SHIRQ and replace with 0?
> >
> > It does nothing: the kernel still hangs there. It seems to be a problem with the new ACPI code
> > changes cause the kernel boots fine with "pci=noacpi".
>
> confirmed here. Although I have it on 2.6.0-test4 and had it since
> al least test3-mm3.

Guys, please send a full report to linux-acpi@xxxxxxxxx based on
the following:

Regarding how to field these in general...
Bugzilla would be really helpful, because we've got multiple bugs and
multiple people working on them and bugzilla is better than e-mail at
keeping the relevant bits together. bugzilla with component=ACPI and
owner len.brown@xxxxxxxxx or andrew.grover@xxxxxxxxx should do the
trick.

The dmesg output of the failing case is really helpful,
As is the output of acpidmp to examine the ACPI tables on the system.
(Red Hat includes both of these in their severn beta1, acpidmp is also
in pmtools on intel's ACPI web page)
dmidecode output is useful to identify the BIOS version.

Of course the 1st thing to check with ACPI failures is that the BIOS
version shown by dmidmp is the latest provided by the vendor... Plus,
if we determine the BIOS is toast, DMI provides what we need to add the
system to the DMI or acpi blacklists.

We're seeting the most problems on VIA chip-sets with no IO-APIC.
The one below is unusual because it is a 2-way system with 3 IO-APICs.

The latest code in linus' tree includes ACPICA 20030813, which is
slightly newer than the one below, it might be a good idea to try that
with CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG. Note that it will spit out the DMI info upon
the mount root failure automatically.