Re: Input issues - key down with no key up

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 23:28:52 EST

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> The code as is now (with the autorepeat and the forced up if the
> keyboard itself doesn't start repeating) won't have any problems with
> this keyboard.

That works well for typing, but if someone tries to use these keys in
an action game, they will disappointed with the forced-up code - the
game will see the key pressed and released, even when the user holds
the key down for a long time.

Unfortunately, not doing the forced-up thing causes much worse
problems, with the keys which started this thread.

There is only one solution which works well that I can see: do the
forced-up thing by default, but as soon as you see a real UP event
from a key, disabled forced-up _for that key_ in future.

That gives perfect results for typing, and after the first press of a
key it is perfect for games too.

-- Jamie