Re: How to use an USB<->serial adapter?

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 01:25:41 EST

Daniel Egger wrote:
Am Don, 2003-08-21 um 14.44 schrieb Boszormenyi Zoltan:

usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter detected
usbserial.c: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 \
(or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.9

Works for me, even on PowerPC. I'm typically using minicom and ckermit
but mgetty and others work fine, too.

What product is this? Mine is a Wiretek UN8BE, based on Prolific 2303.

# lsusb -s 001:002
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Language IDs: none (invalid length string descriptor 63; len=7)
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 Interface
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc.
idProduct 0x2303 PL2303 Serial Port
bcdDevice 2.02
iManufacturer 0 <--- should'nt these two be set?
iProduct 0 <--- (or not, it is optional)
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type none
wMaxPacketSize 10
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type none
wMaxPacketSize 64
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type none
wMaxPacketSize 64
bInterval 0
Language IDs: none (invalid length string descriptor 63; len=7)

In the shop they said this one cannot be used as a null-link but works
with external serial devices, e.g. modems. I have yet to verify this
statement myself.

setserial produces an error:

What do you need this relic from former times for?

I tried to query the USB serial line's current parameters.
Is there any other utilities that can do this for me?

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi