Re: [2.6.0-test4] VFS: Cannot open root device

From: Resident Boxholder
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 01:00:45 EST

I don't think that is a kernel problem. I've seen those errors with 2.6 yesterday and today
but it was a messed up lilo situation and root in need of fsck and once due to switching
drives/controller positions so root wasn't the same root. devfs, moving drives, bios
settings to boot offboard disk controllers, somehow the root isn't the same as for the
lilo op.

Sounds like you could just boot an install disk or an old kernel, open a shell, fsck, then lilo.
Just make sure your new kernel lists /dev/ide/host?/bus? the same so your lilo root= is
pointing to the disk you think it is.

-Bob

Niklas Vainio wrote:

I get this at boot with 2.6.0-test[3,4]:

VFS: Cannot open root device "341" or unknown-block(3,65) for ext3 error=-6
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,65)

Before this, kernel seems to detect hard disks just fine.

This system boots fine with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. I have tried setting
root=/dev/hdb1 and rootfstype=ext2 (hdb1 is ext2) but this doesn't help.
Config below. Is something missing?

Thanks a lot for suggestions,
- Nikke