Re: linux-2.4.22 released

From: John Bradford
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 17:19:15 EST

> > Reasons against:
> > <write here your opinion>
>
> - ALSA is big and there are still some bugs in ALSA; there are more
> urgent things to be fixed in 2.4
> - it's easy to use ALSA even when it's not inside the kernel
> - within a few months 2.6.0 will be released with ALSA included -
> together with the point above I don't see a reason why ALSA would be
> badly needed in 2.4

I think the 'more urgent things to be fixed' point is important.

Only a certain amount of patches can go in to 2.4.23 if we want to
keep this a short development cycle, and efforts to stabilise 2.4 so
that embedded users who are still using 2.2 have something to migrate
to are important.

I'd like to see 2.4 become the stable choice for embedded users that
2.2 is now, before 2.6 becomes the standard for new non-embedded
machines within a year.

John.