Re: cache limit

From: Joseph Malicki
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 11:13:09 EST

I've had experience with unneeded, *mapped* pages that would be ideally
flushed oppressing needed mapped and unmapped pages.
Test case: grep --mmap SOME_STRING_I_WONT_FIND some_multi-GB-file

Sure, it's bad programming etc, but in that case, once those pages are
mapped, they can't be forcibly unmapped even though
in a utopian VM they would be discarded as unneeded.

This could very well be the problem?

-joe