Novatek USB Keyboard/Mouse Bug

From: Ivan Gyurdiev
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 16:50:05 EST

Hi, I finally figured out why my wireless mouse turns off and on randomly every once in a while and works depending on the usb hub it is in - it's the keyboard's fault.

My mouse is:
PM: Adding info for usb:2-2
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2

My keyboard is:
PM: Adding info for usb:2-1
input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [NOVATEK Keyboard NT6881] on usb-0000:00:10.0-1
PM: Adding info for usb:2-1:0
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [NOVATEK Keyboard NT6881] on usb-0000:00:10.0-1
PM: Adding info for usb:2-1:1

As you can see the kernel thinks it's also a mouse, which it definitely is not. I've previously posted this to LKML somewhere, and my impressions were that people don't think it's a bug, since some other model of that keyboard worked together with a mouse somehow. Perhaps that's true, but I do not have a second mouse. The kernel thinks I do, and switching the keyboard and the mouse usb hubs results in mouse devices reordering and X not working with the proper mouse (attempting to use the keyboard as mouse, which apparently does not work).