Re: [ANNOUNCE] netplug, a daemon that handles network cables getting plugged in and out

From: J.A. Magallon
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 17:49:19 EST

On 08.29, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> J.A. Magallon wrote:
> > On 08.28, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> >
> >>Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> >>out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> >>useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> >>and systems in cluster environments.
> >>
> >>For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> >>http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/
> >>

> > I feel sorry, but did you ever knew this existed ?
> >
> > http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/
>

> ifplugd doesn't appear to use netlink. Did I miss something?
>
> netlink is definitely the preferred way to get link notification. Maybe
> the two authors can work together to merge the best parts of both...

That would be very nice, but there is still a problem.
Does netlink solve the fact that there are cards (at least in 2.4)
that do not support any detection method:

ne2k-pci
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

3c59x (3c980-TX)
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
SIOCDEVPRIVATE: unplugged

3c59x (3c905C-TX/TX-M)
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not supported)
SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
SIOCDEVPRIVATE: link beat detected

e100
SIOCETHTOOL: link beat detected
SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

e1000

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free