Re: [ANNOUNCE] netplug, a daemon that handles network cables getting plugged in and out

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 19:37:41 EST

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:21:52PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> out by bringing a network interface up or down. This is extremely
> useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> and systems in cluster environments.
>
> For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just thinking today how
annoying it is that whenever I boot up my laptop, dhclient runs and tries
to get an IP address on the ethernet interface until it's ^C'd. Since
I often use the Ethernet interface this is not a bad default, but dhclient
can't even realize on its own that there's no cable plugged in.