Re: Crazy load average & unkillable processes

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 06:19:34 EST

Looks like you still have quite a lot of free memory left, so its
not that. Maybe you have runaway processes? Look in top. Although
if its only happening with test4, I guess its probably kernel
related. Maybe ACPI? Maybe your video card driver? Try booting with
acpi=off. Post a dmesg too. Thanks.

Nico Schottelius wrote:

I am attaching /proc/meminfo,slapinfo,uptime from now.
The system is f*** slow..
And I am currently just able to write this, moving windows
in X is more than painful!

Nico

Nick Piggin [Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:33:25PM +1000]:

Nico Schottelius wrote:

Very interesting..
with the test4 I experiene the same/similar problems on my laptop..
all of sudden yesterday several programs died -> Out of Memory.
I ran
Xfree
dhcpcd
opera several xterms (about 6)
qmail
named

first opera was Out of Memory, then died the whole X system with all
xterms and X beeing Out of Memory.

MemTotal: 385600 kB

which should be more than enough!

You might have a process with a memory leak. How much free memory do
you have before everything dies? How much swapping activity is going
on? What do /proc/meminfo and /proc/slabinfo say?