Re: CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT hardwired in 2.6.0-test4-bk2 ?

From: Nicolas Mailhot
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 14:02:26 EST

Le ven 29/08/2003 à 20:41, Randy.Dunlap a écrit :
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:36:34 -0700 "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> | On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:30:19 +0200 Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> | | Hi,
> | |
> | | I'm testing acpi changes and unfortunately all the debug messages
> | | overflow the log buffer. So I decided to increase CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT
> | | in .config (there was a menu entry for this at some time in menuconfig
> | | but I can't find it anymore).
> | |
> | | Anyway no matter what I do the value seems to be reseted to 14 at build
> | | time. Is there a way to cleanly change it without poking directly into
> | | the kernel source code ?
> |
> | You need to enable DEBUG_KERNEL (kernel debugging) to see it in the menu.
> |
> | After you edit .config, run 'make oldconfig' and that should fix it.
>
> More accurately, you cannot edit .config and make oldconfig on this
> config option if DEBUG_KERNEL is not set. It won't take effect.
> It will be lost by make oldconfig, so enable DEBUG_KERNEL first.

More accurately if DEBUG_KERNEL is not set you won't get the menuconfig
entry to set it *and* whatever manual changes you to to it in your
.config won't be taken into account.

Which is just plain stupid - if it's linked this hard to DEBUG_KERNEL
what the hell is it doing in another config section ? It's not like it
depended on another option (like usb-storage on usb & scsi). I missed it
both in menuconfig (duh - didn't thought of re-reading the whole menu
structure after enabling debug) and during manual .config edit.

(anyway you solved my problem at light speed and for this you're my day
god - thanks a lot)

--
Nicolas Mailhot