Re: root=nfs no longer works in 2.4.22

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 18:30:53 EST

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:09:56PM -0600, Michael Pruznick wrote:
> Was root=nfs removed on purpose or is it an unexpected
> side effect of the "ROOT NFS fixes" patch from late
> July 2003?

not unexpected ...

> I understand this patch from the point of wanting to
> eliminate nfs attempts when nfs is not requested. That
> is clearly a reasonable thing to do. However, "root=nfs"
> is a nfs request that has been accepted in the past, I've
> been told, because nfs isn't a real device (but maybe it
> was accepted as bug and this patch fixed it).

simple, there was a discrepancy between the 'device'
table scanned on boot, and the actual device names
root=/dev/nfs is correct, where root=wossname worked
because it wasn't checked against anything ...

root=/dev/nfs will work for you, otherwise it is a
bug, and we'll have to fix it ...

HTH,
Herbert