Re: [RFC] extents support for EXT3

From: Alex Tomas
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 04:05:55 EST

yes, you're correct. extents make sense for large files generally speaking.
having extents, it's simpler to implement delayed allocation, imho. delayed
allocation makes sense for all files. especially for temporary files (say,
.S files during make bzImage). this technique allows to avoid block allocation
at all for such files and make file's placement more contigoues.

I agree about system fs (/, /boot, /usr, /var), because most of files are
quite small and change rarely.