[SHED] Questions.

From: Ian Kumlien
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 05:09:11 EST

Hi,

I'll risk sounding like a moron again =)

I still wonder about the counter intuitive quantum value for
processes... (or timeslice if you will)

Why not use small quantum values for high pri processes and long for low
pri since the high pri processes will preempt the low pri processes
anyways. And for a server working under load with only a few processes
(assuming they are all low pri) would lessen the context switches.

And a system with "interactive load" as well would, as i said, preempt
the lower pris. But this could also cause a problem... Imho there should
be a "min quantum value" so that processes can't preempt a process that
was just scheduled (i dunno if this is implemented already though).

Imho this would also make it easy to get the right pri for highpri
processes since the quantum value is smaller and if you use it all up
you get demoted.

Anyways, I've been wondering about the inverted values in the scheduler
and for a mixed load/server load i don't see the benefit... =P

PS. Do not forget to CC me since i'm not on this list...
DS.

--
Ian Kumlien <pomac@xxxxxxxxx>