Re: bandwidth for bkbits.net (good news)

From: Pascal Schmidt
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 08:48:02 EST

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> This is what I use normally to limit my brother downloads, and it works
> fine for me (though I don't often place calls through adsl myself, it's
> basically useless since people only uses cellphones here, and last time
> I chekced voip wasn't free for cellphones with my isp).
>
> this is the script:

Mine is similar, though I use tc filters instead of firewalling
rules (my machine is on 192.168.2.0/24, rest of the house is
on 192.168.3.0/24) I'm using the imq device on a 2.2 kernel to
have all traffic go through that device for shaping:

#!/bin/bash
# traffic shaping startup script
#
# (c) 2003 Pascal Schmidt <der.eremit@xxxxxxxx>

. /etc/rc.d/rc.functions

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Setting up traffic shaper: "

# remove other qdisc if any
tc qdisc del dev imq root &> /dev/null

# use HTB as root
tc qdisc add dev imq root handle 1:0 htb default 3

# complete LAN
tc class add dev imq parent 1:0 classid 1:1 htb \
rate 10mbit burst 15k

# ISDN connection, split up into two "halves"
tc class add dev imq parent 1:1 classid 1:2 htb \
rate 64kbit burst 15k
tc class add dev imq parent 1:2 classid 1:21 htb \
rate 40kbit ceil 64kbit burst 15k
tc class add dev imq parent 1:2 classid 1:22 htb \
rate 24kbit ceil 59kbit burst 15k

# rest of LAN bandwidth for internal traffic
tc class add dev imq parent 1:1 classid 1:3 htb \
rate 9mbit ceil 10mbit burst 15k

# use SFQ on leaf classes
tc qdisc add dev imq parent 1:21 handle 21:0 sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev imq parent 1:22 handle 22:0 sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev imq parent 1:3 handle 3:0 sfq perturb 10

# LAN to LAN traffic goes to fast class
tc filter add dev imq protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 \
match ip src 192.168.0.0/16 \
match ip dst 192.168.0.0/16 flowid 1:3

# rest of traffic to LAN #1 (must be from Internet)
# goes to first ISDN class (half ISDN channel)
tc filter add dev imq protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 \
match ip dst 192.168.2.0/24 flowid 1:21

# rest of traffic to LAN #2 (must be from Internet)
# goes to second ISDN class (half ISDN channel)
tc filter add dev imq protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 \
match ip dst 192.168.3.0/24 flowid 1:22

check_status

# bring up intermediate queue interface
echo -n "Bringing up intermediate queue: "
ifconfig imq up
check_status
;;
stop)
# bring down intermediate queue interface
echo -n "Taking down intermediate queue: "
ifconfig imq down
check_status

# remove root qdisc
echo -n "Disabling traffic shaper: "
tc qdisc del dev imq root
check_status
;;
status)
tc -d -s class show dev imq
;;
restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart}"
exit 1
esac

--
Ciao,