Re: Andrea VM changes

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 10:33:55 EST

I spent way too long tweaking the OOM killer before I
realized it was hopeless.
The fact that incoming network traffic can be what causes the
OOM condition makes it Really Hard to decide which app deserves
the axe.

In the test-and-measurement system I'm developing,
it turned out the sanest thing to do with OOM conditions
was to consider them user errors, and to handle them
by dumping memory usage info about processes and slab caches,
then halt. It's been very helpful because it turns flaky
conditions into rock-solid failures. Too bad this drastic
approach isn't appropriate for general use.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com