VIA IO-APIC/ACPI Success - Was: Fixing USB interrupt problems with ACPI enabled [Christian.Guggenberger@physik.uni-regensburg.de]

From: Christian Guggenberger
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 16:48:19 EST

Doing this for Len, who is on vacation. We would like to thank the
people who provided debugging info such as acpidmp, dmidecode, and
demsg. This is one of our findings, and we believe this would fix some
interrupt problems (with USB, for example) with ACPI enabled, especially
when the dmesg reads like:

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [ALKA] enabled at IRQ 0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [ALKB] enabled at IRQ 0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [ALKC] enabled at IRQ 0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [ALKD] enabled at IRQ 0

Basically we assumed that _CRS returned the one we set with _SRS, when
setting up a PCI interrupt link device, but that's not the case with
some AML codes. Some of them always return 0.
Attached is a patch against 2.4.23-pre1. It should be easy to apply this
to 2.6.

Amazing! This patch also fixes IO-APIC problems on my EPOX 8k5a3+ (VIA KT333).
Onboard devices like usb, sound and net (via-rhine) never worked, when the mobo operated in APIC mode - now they do, great!
There's also a patch for 2.6 on bugzilla - see Bug #10.
So, if everyone with ACPI/IO-APIC probs with via chipsets would test this one, it hopefully would make it into mainstream 2.4 / 2.6 soon.

Thanks!
Christian

P.S. original message:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106225872121774&w=2