Re: Re: Re: Re: IDE DMA breakage w/ 2.4.21+ and 2.6.0-test4(-mm4)

From: Petr Baudis
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 16:52:10 EST

Dear diary, on Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 11:21:13PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> On Sul, 2003-08-31 at 21:06, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > I did few more experiments, and one strange thing is that /proc/dma does not
> > change when turning using_dma on thru hdparm:
>
> IDE DMA is PCI not ISA. It appears your mainboard is dying when both ISA
> and PCI DMA occur together. If so you'd want to drop the ESS audiodrive
> into PIO mode assuming ALSA supports it (OSS doesnt although I've got
> the docs if you care that much).

I don't ;-) - I lived w/o IDE DMA until now so I guess I'll survive for another
while. Thanks for the help, though. I will try again with ALSA+PIO later in the
2.6.0-test stage, when the other aspects (fb and usb) will more-or-less be
usable for me for daily use.

> Can you do another test here - write to a floppy disk while doing IDE
> DMA and see if it also hangs.

It works fine (aside of the ancient floppy disk grifting terribly).

--

Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.