Re: x86, ARM, PARISC, PPC, MIPS and Sparc folks please run this

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 23:50:55 EST

J.A. Magallon wrote:
> On 08.29, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > I already got a surprise (to me): my Athlon MP is much slower
> > accessing multiple mappings which are within 32k of each other, than
> > mappings which are further apart, although it is coherent. The L1
> > data cache is 64k. (The explanation is easy: virtually indexed,
> > physically tagged cache moves data among cache lines, possibly via L2).
> >

> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you heard about 64K-aliasing ?
> We have seen it in P3/P4, do not know if Athlons also suffer it.
> In short, x86 is crap. It slows like a dog when accessing two memory
> positions sparated by 2^n (address decoder has two 16 bits adders, instead
> of 1 32 bits..., cache is 16 bit tagged, etc...)

I don't know what you mean. This test doesn't observe any gross
timing effect at 64K. I have just tried it on a Celeron Coppermine
printing more detailed numbers, and I don't notice anything at all.

So, what exactly do you mean? What kind of code shows the effect you
are talking about?

Thanks,
-- Jamie