Re: Power Management Update

From: Éric Brunet
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 05:58:58 EST

To: mochel@xxxxxxxx,linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Power Management Update

(Resend. Seems it didn't get through the first time.)

In mailing-lists linux-kernel, you wrote:

>I'm pleased to announce the release of the first patchset of power
>management changes for 2.6.0. The purpose of this release is to give
>people a chance to review and test the PM code before it's sent on to
>Linus.

I gave this patch a try... All data concerning my computer (config
files, boot messages, dsdt, etc.) is available on
<http://perso.nerim.net/~tudia/bug-reports>.

On my computer, echoing anything to /sys/power/state does nothing at all.
Not even a line in the logs.

On the text console (but with XFree and kde running in the background),

echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep

the screen blinks and the fan speed goes up. (fan speed is set by
bios. Loading module i2c reinitialize the motherboard sensors and
make fan speed go up too. But here, i2c was not loaded nor
compiled in.) In the logs, I have:

Stopping tasks: ==================================================|
hdc: start_power_step(step: 0)
hdc: completing PM request, suspend
hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
hwsleep-0257 [16] acpi_enter_sleep_state: Entering sleep state [S1]
Back to C!
PM: Finishing up.
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.1 to 64
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.2 to 64
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 0000.
hda: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
hda: start_power_step(step: 1000)
blk: queue df60d800, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hda: completing PM request, resume
hdc: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
hdc: start_power_step(step: 1000)
hdc: completing PM request, resume
Restarting tasks... done

Note that, sometimes, the computer waits after printing "Entering
sleep state [S1]", and resumes if I hit the key. The screen is
however fully lit, so I am not sure that this is a success.

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

Maybe the screen blinks a little bit, but I am not sure. It is so
fast... In the logs, I have:

PM: Preparing system for suspend
Stopping tasks:
=========================================================|
Restarting tasks... done

echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep

Suspend is working, the computer writes things in the swapfile
and shuts down. On resume, I have a kernel panic. I have hand
written this:

Process swapper
Call queue:
start_request