PROBLEM: laptop touchpad on linux-2.6.0-test4

From: Chris Peterson
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 22:52:55 EST

I upgraded a working Redhat 9 installation (linux-2.4.20) to
linux-2.6.0-test4. I can boot and start X and Gnome successfully.
Unfortunately, my laptop's touchpad and mouse "joystick" do not work. My
laptop is a Dell Latitude C400. I have not tried an external mouse because
my laptop does not have an external mouse port.

Using Google, I've found some LKML threads about problems with the Synaptics
touchpad driver and the evdev kernel module, but the threads end before a
verified solution ("it works now. thanks!") is posted. Is there a known fix
for this touchpad problem?

thanks,
chris