Re: Linux-2.4.22

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 12:10:47 EST

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>

> > I configured, built and booted Linux-2.4.22. There are
> > some problems.
> >
> > (1) `dmesg` fails to read the first part of the buffered
> > kernel log. I have attached two files, dmesg-20 (normal)
> > and dmesg-22 (bad). File dmesg-22 is from Linux-2.4.22
> > and dmesg-20 is from Linux-2.4.20. To save space, I
> > snip everything after 'NET4'.
> >
> > (2) The ipx module fails to load with undefined symbols.
> > This module loads fine in Linux-2.4.20.
> >
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/net/ipx/ipx.o
> > depmod: unregister_8022_client
> > depmod: make_EII_client
> > depmod: register_8022_client
> > depmod: register_snap_client
> > depmod: make_8023_client
> > depmod: destroy_8023_client
> > depmod: destroy_EII_client
> > depmod: unregister_snap_client
>
> > (3) When umounting the root file-system, the machine usually
> > hangs. The result is a long `fsck` on the next boot. The problem
> > seems to be that sendmail doesn't get killed during the `init 0`
> > sequence. It remains with a file open and the root file-system isn't
> > unmounted. A temporary work-round is to `ifconfig eth0 down` before
> > starting shutdown. Otherwise, sendmail remains stuck in the 'D' state.
>
> Which previous kernel didnt show this behaviour?

Previous kernel was linux-2.4.20. Linux-2.4.21 would never complete
a boot on my system so I gave up on that one.

> > (4) When mounting the DOS file-systems during startup, the echo
> > on the screen shows about 15 lines of white-space. This never
> > happened before. When mounting /proc, there are 6 lines of
> > white-space, also strange.
>
> Again, which kernel doesnt show that behaviour?

Also, I replaced linux-2.4.22/kernel/prink.c with the one from
linux-2.4.21 and it did not help the missing boot data problem.
I also changed the buffer size to 131,072 and it didn't help
either so the problem is not in printk.c, but somewhere else,
perhaps klogd.

> Thanks

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).