Re: Driver Model

From: James Clark
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 16:50:25 EST

Before I posted my original question I read Patrick's very helpful overview of
the Driver Model (www.amc.com.au/lca/loopback/papers/
Patrick_Mochel/Patrick_Mochel.pdf).

The reason I posed the question, as a newcomer to kernel development, moving
from WIN32 DDK development (sorry!) to Linux is that I was very surprised by
the module interface.

Would a more rigid 'plugin' interface and the concequent move from mainly
'source' modules to binary 'plugins' (still with source-code available for
all to see) mean that (a) Kernel was smaller (2) Had to be
released/recompiled less (4) Was EVEN more stable and (4) 'plugins' were more
portable across releases and easier to install ?

I love Linux but this seems to be holding it back...

James