Re: Scaling noise

From: CaT
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 23:35:22 EST

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:29:53PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:18:51PM +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:
> > > I've frequently tried to make the point that all the scaling for lots of
> > > processors is nonsense. Mr Dell says it better:
> > >
> > > "Eight-way (servers) are less than 1 percent of the market and shrinking
> > > pretty dramatically," Dell said. "If our competitors want to claim
> > > they're No. 1 in eight-ways, that's fine. We want to lead the market
> > > with two-way and four-way (processor machines)."
> > >
> > > Tell me again that it is a good idea to screw up uniprocessor performance
> > > for 64 way machines. Great idea, that. Go Dinosaurs!
> >
> > And does your 4 way have hyperthreading?
>
> What part of "shrinking pretty dramatically" did you not understand? Maybe
> you know more than Mike Dell. Could you share that insight?

I think Anton is referring to the fact that on a 4-way cpu machine with
HT enabled you basically have an 8-way smp box (with special conditions)
and so if 4-way machines are becoming more popular, making sure that 8-way
smp works well is a good idea.

At least that's how I took it.

--
"How can I not love the Americans? They helped me with a flat tire the
other day," he said.