SPAM

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 07:45:23 EST

Hello list,
Everybody who has an account on yahoo probably knows that
they sell their lists of email users to spammers. This is
the condition upon which users get "free" service. However,
they also send destination addresses to spammers also! This
means that if you have a yahoo email address and send your
wife or girlfriend a message using yahoo, she will immediately
be deluged with spam advertising penis extenders, etc.
Be forewarned.

I recently put a new Linux machine "on the air". To see if
email worked, I used my yahoo account, N26825@xxxxxxxxx to
send mail to the new machine. Within 20 minutes, I had 40
SPAM messages on that new machine. Some SPAM arrived BEFORE
the message from yahoo. I reported this to abuse@xxxxxxxxx,
but it's a logical black hole.

Again, be warned. They ARE out to get you, even if you are
paranoid!

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).