Re: Fix up power managment in 2.6

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 08:04:34 EST

On Maw, 2003-09-02 at 11:21, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> The whole point was to get rid of the old 2 step save_state, then
> suspend model which didn't make sense. A saved state is only meaningful
> as long as that state doesn't get modified afterward, so saving state
> and suspending are an atomic operation.

Very old myth. In fact just about every scheduler on the planet exploits
the fact this is untrue.

save state
continue running doing scheduler stuff
restore other state losing the state in the middle we dont need

Ditto with a lot of I/O devices. My audio save state and suspend can be
seperated - I might play a little bit of a song twice but is that a bug
?