Re: Airo Net 340 PCMCIA WiFi Card trouble

From: tonildg
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 09:41:31 EST

Hi again, read below...

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 05:09, tonildg wrote:

>The error message:
>cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
>cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding >0xc0000-0xcbfff

I had the same problem you have (but in other range of memory and with another wireless card) and it started too with 2.4.19.

I solved it testing with memory ranges in the config.opts file that comes with your pcmcia_cs version.

You have to play with them until one fits and boots. "I had to use windows to see the memory adresses my cardbus used."

< Umh can I check it out on Linux as well? And how? I can boot correctly
with 2.4.19.

I had to look to the windows cardbus device properties to get it work, but i think that by playing with some values you can get it working too without needing that crappy OS.

My Excuse: The reason i looked into windows whas that i was setting up a laptop whith the host_ap module support and i needed it working for giving a wireless talk and had no time to play. :-)

Usually, when comenting the "include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff" solves it.

Yes when I comment that include out I can boot but the card is not
properly intitialized, here is the errors I get:

airo: register interrupt 0 failed, rc -16
airo_cs: RequestConfiguration: Operation succeeded

cardmgr[20]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable.

I can only give you this link where the problem is referenced and have some instructions to guess wich memory addresses to reserve for the cardbus.
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.5

However this problem is not caused by the Airo driver. And, (i think) it is not a kernel problem. Maybe a pcmcia_cs one.

Okay so the kernel changed something and is now using that memory area?

No. I think kernel does not change anything. Maybe is that the kernel fits a region of memory originally reserved for the cardbus as is defined in config.opts. Maybe because those new kernel are a few Kb bigger than before one's.

Remembering this thing makes me think that this "issue" is more a pcmcia_cs thing than a kernel/driver one.

Hope it helps you or any other developer/list__member here.

PD: Excuse my poor english.