Re: Strange situation while writing CDR from iso file on tmpfs

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:24:45 EST

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Until today I thought that it is a good administration style to create a
> several gigabyte swap partition (which is normally almost unused, but
> just for the case that some program needs much virtual memory), and use
> tmpfs for /tmp.
> I thought that it is good for two reasons - disk space is not wasted for
> /tmp (and /tmp still has several gigabytes of space), and short-living
> temporary files such as gcc intermediate files normally reside in memory,
> which is more effective than using a filesystem on a disk.
>
> If I understand you correctly, the above is not true at least for a
> desktop system with 256M of RAM?

I think it's unusual for a machine with 256M of RAM to use more
than ~512M for swap, but I certainly wouldn't advise you against it.
If you've plenty of spare disk, and you find that sometimes it is
almost all useful for swap, keep it that way. But I can't pretend
that tmpfs is efficient compared with other filesystems once it
gets into using swap.

> And what about LTSP server with 2 gigabytes of RAM (and 6 gigabytes of
> swap) that normally runs 10-15 KDE sessions with mozilla's and
> openoffice's?

Sorry, you'll know much more about configuring such systems than I do.

Hugh