Re: [RFC] Class-based Kernel Resource Management

From: Shailabh Nagar
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:28:19 EST

NIWA Hideyuki wrote:

Hello.

I tried ckrm (Class-based Kernel Resource Management) patch. I am very interested in ckrm.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

However, I found the following problems.

1) Both of ckcpu and ckmem could not be applied at the same time. I corrected the patch by hand. Is it impossible to use both at the same time?

No, it is the intent of the project to have all four controllers cpu, memory,
io and network to be usable simultaneously.

However, the supplied patches for each controller only assume the core patch
(ckcore) to have been applied. We'll try to provide rollups of all controllers
combined on the ckrm site once the combinations get tested (if you do that, please let us
know !)

2) When rbcemod of the module is compiled, "ckrm_cpu_change_class" becomes an undeclared symbol.

I modified kernel source kernel/class.c and export "ckrm_cpu_change_class": EXPORT_SYMBOL(ckrm_cpu_change_class);

Thanks. I'll add it to the next version.

3) The bash process newly executed dies one after another when rbadmin is executed.

The value of the argument "cls" of the "ckrm_cpu_change_class" function might be NULL. Therefore, the NULL pointer dereference occurs when it starts changing the class of the bash process.

Will check this out.

-Shailabh