Re: Scaling noise

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 19:38:21 EST

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 11:17:56AM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> Errm, IBM is gambling with _their_ money, as are others such as HP,
> and they're making big iron.

But making very little money off of it. I'd love to get revenue numbers
as a function of time for >8 processor SMP boxes. I'll bet my left nut
that the numbers are going down. They have to be, CPUs are fast enough
to handle most problems, clustering has worked for lots of big companies
like Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and the HPC market has been flat for years.
So where's the growth? Nowhere I can see. If I'm not seeing it, show
me the data. I may be a pain in the ass but I'll change my mind instantly
when you show me data that says something different than what I believe.
So far, all I've seen is people having fun proving that their ego is
bigger than the next guys, no real data. Come on, you'd love nothing
better than to prove me wrong. Do it. Or admit that you can't.
--
---