Re: Compiling an i386 kernel on AMD Opteron

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 05:16:09 EST

Stephan von Krawczynski writes:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to compile a kernel on Opteron for i386 (32-bit) and not 64 bit
> Opteron with usual make procedures?
>
> When I do a simple "make menuconfig" I can only see the Opteron processor type
> in "Processor type and features" ...

You need to learn about cross-compilation.

make ARCH=i386

is the first step for you. Most people doing this also have cross-compilation
tool sets (compilers, linkers, libcs etc), and the CROSS_COMPILE= make
variable can be set to pick those up.

E.g., I do
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-unknown-linux-
or
make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc-unknown-linux-
when building x86-64 or ppc32 kernels on an i386 host.

Your x86-64 gcc should be able to generate 32-bit binaries using
the -m32 flag, so something like make ARCH=i386 CFLAGS=-m32 might work.