Re: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

From: James Clark
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 16:14:29 EST

Why would binary drivers be any harder to debug than the existing binary
kernel. If you want to debug something use the source code. My proposal
doesn't remove the need for quality public source code but it does isolate
the kernel components and allow for 'plugin' use on different kernels both
old and new.

If a relatively small kernel component can be turned on/off and upgraded at
will, without changing ANYTHING else, this would be a big step forward.

James