Re: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

From: James Clark
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 16:54:43 EST

This is exactly the kind of FUD that is slowing Linux development and
preventing wider use. Windows, for all its faults is a VERY BIG commercial
success. You (and I) may believe that MS have persued some pretty bad
practises to get where they are but the FACT is they are there and YOU are
here. You may (I don't) believe that Windows is inherently unstable. This is
FUD. It mostly works, sometimes it doesn't, but in total the number of
working hours of PRODUCTIVE use from it is many orders of magnitude greater.
Multiple the number of Windows users in the world by their working time and
then do the same for Linux!

I have not proposed a driver model that is compatible with the Windows DDK.
This is pure invention from the usual school of 'Windows v Linux, Linux is
better because we made it'. The Linux driver model could be much better and
hence the OS could escape the niche box it currently is in. Please ask Joe
User how he feels about rebuilding his whole OS to add IP6 support to an
existing stable system etc.

You have accused me of not knowing anything about OS design. I don't what your
knowledge is, so I won't try and score points by telling you about mine -
what I do know is that you obviously don't appreciate what is holding Linux
back - You.

James