Re: 2.4.22-pre lockups (case closed)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 08:39:11 EST

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:24:00AM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to give you the last update on the story:
>
> short: hardware problem
>
> long:
> The box had two different types of RAM (both registered ECC) in it. Two were 1
> GByte, four were 256 MByte to a total of 3 GByte. I had to find out that the
> box runs flawlessly when using only the GByte modules _or_ only the 256 MByte
> modules, but not the mix. All modules are from same vendor. The problem in
> mixed setup does not show up in UP mode (memtest works!). It does not even show
> up straight away, it takes days, but it is always there.
> In fact - even though having sunk weeks of work - I am pretty happy that it
> turned out not to be a kernel problem.

thanks for demonstrating this.

> For the other setups that showed SMP-specific weirdness TeJun may have found
> interesting explanations. I updated them all to 2.4.22 and have not seen any
> problem yet.
> For me it was really interesting to see that reiserfs setups obviously have a
> completely different memory footprint than ext3, and altogether there seems a
> remarkable difference between later kernels and former. The problem showed up
> very seldom on 2.4.21 and below but within 2 days with 2.4.22.

normally that indicates the kernel is somehow using the resources more
efficiently, it's usually a good sign from a kernel standpoint, I heard
of things like this happening also during major upgrades like from 2.2
to 2.4.

> Thanks to all who lend me their ears on the topic and sorry for wasting the
> time.

you're very welcome.

> PS: Obviously there are seldom cases where SMP support in memtest _could_ make
> a difference ;-)

;)

Andrea

/*
* If you refuse to depend on closed software for a critical
* part of your business, these links may be useful:
*
* rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.5/
* rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.4/
* http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
*
* svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.6/trunk
* svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.4/trunk