Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: USB modem no longer detected in -test4

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 11:03:44 EST

David Brownell wrote:
> >It worked fine in 2.5.75 too. I have the same problem as Pavel, with
> >a different USB modem in -test4.
>
> And ... does my suggestion to Pavel then improve things?
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106263361810553&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=106260875713372&w=2

Yes it does.

When loading the controller, these are some of the messages:

PM: Adding info for usb:1-1:0
PM: Adding info for usb:1-1:1
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: need inactive config #2
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: need inactive config #2

On loading cdc_acm:

usb 1-1: control timeout on ep0in

When I do the echo 2 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/bConfigurationValue:

acm: probe of 1-1:1 failed with error -5

I am able to open the modem device and use it after the echo, and not
before. (I'm using it now).

> I'll submit a cdc-acm patch later to get rid of the need for the
> manual workaround. And meanwhile, a hotplug script could automate
> this for you, in /etc/hotplug/usb/cdc-acm ...

So many other things don't work automatically for me in 2.6 that one
little echo for cdc_acm is a little thing. Besides, hotplug doesn't
work either - something about the arguments to /sbin/hotplug has
changed since 2.4 and I am in no rush to install a new version.

Thanks for the modem fix. I can now test the futex bug without going
offline :)

Cheers,
-- Jamie